Re: Proposal: Deprecate (or rename) extsrc/

On Fri, Jan 07, 2022 at 12:47:53 +1100, Luke Mewburn wrote:

> The "extsrc/" tree was added in late 2009.
> Nothing in tree uses "extsrc/"; it's a placeholder for third-party
> vendors to hook into the build for their own extensions.
> There's no reason a vendor can't just integrate into the build
> with local changes - that's what Wasabi Systems did in the early 2000s.
>
> (Also, if I recall correctly, "extsrc/" without much consultation).
>
> If some people require the "extsrc/" functionality in tree, then I propose:
> 1) A good case to retain the functionality should be made by them.
> 2) A better name than "extsrc/" should be chosen, that's not
>    going to cause completion rage. Maybe "3rdparty"?

Yeah, it's kinda there "for the furniture" only.

The build.sh usage still claims the default is /usr/extsrc and the
makefile do-extsrc target uses hardcoded "extsrc" instead of
EXTSRCSRCDIR (sic).

Also it's built separately, so one can't easily use it to add say a
library that some other 3rd party tool already in src can use, etc.

-uwe