Re: General device properties API

On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 06:46:17AM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> > On Aug 16, 2021, at 2:31 AM, Michael van Elst <mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost> wrote:
> > Isn't that what we do today? Have a common name and value format,
> > copied/translated from various sources and stored in the MI device
> > dictionary.
>
> We sort of have it, and it?s a dumpster fire which is why I want to get away from that. It doesn?t scale (a new driver that needs a new property suddenly needs a new hook in MD code?  Yiuck?), and it?s wasteful in terms of memory consumed.

I'd say querying all possible MD sources in each driver scales less
and it gets worse when you want to report such properties in some
coherent way.

You can only win if you reduce this to abstract properties (easily
stored in the device dictionary) and let MI code work on these. And
drivers should share such abstractions where possible.

Greetings,
--
                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost