Re: Level for Unix-domain socket options

On Thu 05 Aug 2021 at 13:22:55 +0000, nia wrote:
> The unix(4) man page incorrectly states:
>
> "A UNIX-domain socket supports two socket-level options for use with
> setsockopt(2) and getsockopt(2): [...]"
>
> In reality, the protocol level when using these socket options
> must be 0, which is a magic number not really documented anywhere
> except the test suite.

and getsockopt(2) says

DESCRIPTION
     getsockopt(), setsockopt() and getsockopt2() manipulate the options
     associated with a socket.  Options may exist at multiple protocol levels;
     they are always present at the uppermost "socket" level.

which I interpret to mean that even if you use SOL_SOCKET for these
options, it should work. Do I read that as intended? I understand from
the above that it is not true for these options. Perhaps it should be
fixed so that the options work for both SOL_LOCAL and SOL_SOCKET level:
compatible with both (at least some) practice and documentation.

-Olaf.
--
___ "Buying carbon credits is a bit like a serial killer paying someone else to
\X/  have kids to make his activity cost neutral." -The BOFH    falu.nl@rhialto