Re: kern.maxlockf for byte range lock limit

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 08:03:54AM +0000, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
 > On Fri, Jul 09, 2021 at 08:52:08PM +0000, David Holland wrote:
 > > This was discussed somewhere briefly (probably on chat) a couple weeks
 > > ago, with the conclusion that we should just make the limit something
 > > like twice the maximum number of open files and forget about it. No
 > > real need to add more knobs.
 >
 > Here is a patch that ties it to maxfiles, with documentation. Tying
 > to open files would be more complex. We could also tie to
 > curproc->p_rlimit[RLIMIT_NOFILE].rlim_cur if that is more relevant.

Well, that was the idea; make it some factor times the current open
file limit or something like that. Not sure why the existing limit is
apparently per-user rather than per-process or what that's supposed to
accomplish. These lock objects are not exactly large so it's not
necessary to be tightfisted with them.

note typo:

--
David A. Holland