Re: Audio volume setting: not working - sometimes?

Hi mouse,

There have been several changes to the audio interface over the
years. In particular, I would describe the pause, port, gain, and
balance fields as "legacy compatibility". These provide a simplified
interface to the mixer(4) interface which may not provide a perfect
match (or do what you expect) with complex audio hardware like
a modern hdaudio(4) device. The primary gain control might not
be the one currently responsible for output volume depending
on the various DACs available.

If you want to adjust the playback volume of the audio device,
I'd recommend doing it through the mixer interface instead (or simply
with mixerctl before the application runs - modifying the user's
mixer settings Considered Rude).