Re: 9.1: boot-time delay? [WORKAROUND FOUND]

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 05:13:02AM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:

> But it isn't, you can't convert 60 ticks/second into some number of
> milliseconds, the two are different units.

Sure you can. period = 1/frequency.

But HZ (and now hz) in the code is also used as a period, thus the idioms:

delay(5*HZ)                        wait 5 seconds
timeout(ttrstrt, tp, HZ/4)         trigger ttrstrt in 1/4 second

That's the simplicity when your time units are 1/HZ, then the same
number (called HZ) can stand for a frequency and a one second period.

If the programming language would use measures (number + specific
unit) instead of (integer) numbers, it became more explicit. But
I guess a modern language would still allow to use the same value
as a frequency or a period with some automatic type conversion.

Can we go back now to the original problem ?

Greetings,
--
                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost