Re: Expected behavior when returning from a SIGFPE handler

On Wed, 26 May 2021, Jason Thorpe wrote:

The alpha code has, for a very long time, always advanced the PC past
the faulting instruction on an arithmetic trap[1].  This, in essence,
makes it behave exactly as if the exception were disabled, while still
giving the handler a chance to "do something").

But the x86_64 code appears to return to the same instruction,
banging its head against the proverbial wall.

It's my belief that the alpha behavior is more desirable.

I agree.  To me, the x86_64 behaviour as reported sounds quite "sub-
optimal" and rather unuseful.

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:     |
| (Retired)          | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul%whooppee.com@localhost     |
| Software Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%netbsd.org@localhost   |