Re: checking for a closed socket

On 02/02/2021 18:20, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
Hello,
I've been debugging an issue wuth Xen, where xenstored loops at 100%
CPU on poll(2).
after code analysis it's looping on closed Unix socket desriptors.
 From what I understood the code expect poll(2) to return something
different from POLLIN when the remote end of the socket is
closed (it checks for (~(POLLOUT|POLLIN)) to it could be either
POLLERR or POLLHUP I guess - or eventually POLLRDHUP which we don't have).

Who is right here, linux or NetBSD (linux claims to be posix, while
our man page doens't mention it) ?

Is there a way to check if a connection has been closed without a read() ?

Oddly enough I was looking at this in poll myself recently.
As it turns out, if the socket has a remote end (which sockets do) then the EOF or hangup needs to be read via POLLIN.
If thre is no remote end (like say a file descriptor) then you get POLLHUP.

This is common with other OS's and select(2).
The rationale is that the peer closing the socket (ie shutdown()) need is sent on the wire and is thus a read(), whereas the local file desciptor is an event.

So short answer - no. You need to read() and get the error that way.

Roy