Re: Problems with hdaudio(4) on Dell Optiplex-5050

	hello.  Further investigation into this issue reveals that Mouse is
half right as to the problem itself.  the problem, just to reiterate, is
that when I plug a hedphone into the headphone jack  of my Dell Optiplex
5050, the sound is distorted as though the left and right channels are
shorted together.  And, Mouse's observation that this could be hardware
related is correct.
	The issue seems to be that the jack on the front of this machine is a
4-pin jack: left channel at tip, right channel at ring 1, microphone at
ring 2 and ground at sleeve.If only it were that simple.  Yes, it's a
4-conductor jack, but the Realtek chip can be programmed to interpret the
signals from the jack in various modes, i.e. headphone mode, where ring 2
and sleeve are logically shorted together, CTIA  mode, where ring 2 is
microphone and sleeve is ground, and OMT mode, where ring 2 and the sleeve
are logically reversed from CTIA mode.  (I think I have that description correct,
but I'm still trying to understand all the choices here.)
	the point is that while our driver puts the audio through the right
output device at the right time, in the case of the headphone jack, it
doesn't set the mode of the jack at all and the default mode is not the
right one for the operation of headphones.  To accomplish this task,
additional bits need to be read and written to registers outside of the
HDAudio Specification.  I've downloaded the Linux kernel sources to try and
gain an understanding of how to do this and translate these additional
operations into our hdaudio(4) framework.  I wonder, however, if someone on
this list might be able to help me understand the moving parts of our
driver enough to help me figure out how to write the extra operations
necessary to give these additional instructions  to the Realtek chips.  In
terms of an interface, I'm thinking the audioctl(1) interface could be used
to allow the user to select which mode these jacks are in.  that would, for
example, allow a user to select a headset with microphone, headphones, or a
line in or out mode.

	If someone has already done this work, then I'm happy to use that, or
to test if they are ready to commit it.

Thoughts, or suggestions welcome.

-thanks
-Brian