Re: Reparenting processes?

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 16:06 bch <brad.harder%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 15:36 bch <brad.harder%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 13:05 Mouse <mouse%rodents-montreal.org@localhost> wrote:
>> [...process reparenting...]
> Isn't what you want to do very similar to what happens when a process
> goes into background and the parent dies?

Yes.  Between that and the partial reparenting that happens at debugger
attach, most of the code I want already exists.

The pieces that don't are things like dealing with control ttys and
sessions (reparenting orphaned processes to init deals with those, but
only in the form of setting them to a suitable "cleared" state; I would
want something more).

ISTR NetBSD shipped (ships? I can’t find it on cursory glance) a slimmed-down process controller (“slimmed-down” vs tmux or screen w their myriad options and features) process handler - I want to say “detach”, but I’m not certain.

Or “window”? What I’m remembering was definitely for a console, though, and super basic.

Apologies for replying to my own msgs. The software I was thinking of is window(1), which for NetBSD 7 was taken out of base and moved to pkgsrc/misc/window, according to src/doc/CHANGES.prev

-bch

-bch

/~\ The ASCII                             Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse%rodents-montreal.org@localhost
/ \ Email!           7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B