Re: Reparenting processes?

On 2020-12-08 14:36, Mouse wrote:
I've been thinking about building a way to move a job between
shells, in particular between one window, ssh session, whatever, and
another.
Yes, I've somehow missed the VMS virtual terminals, that can detach
their job from the real terminal and be reattached by a login
process, instead of creating a new job.

That must have come in after I stopped using VMS (mid-'80s); I'm pretty
sure the VMS I used didn't have it.

It actually don't have anything to do with virtual terminals, but the mechanism did exist already then. Jobs could be detached and reattached again, including at login.

But it was/is a little obscure in VMS. It is much more prominent, and easy to deal with in TOPS-20.

(Now back to on topic... :-) )

  Johnny