Re: amd64 9.1, pre-wscons text colours?

mouse%Rodents-Montreal.ORG@localhost (Mouse) writes:

>But WS_KERNEL_FG=WSCOL_LIGHT_BROWN (I wanted yellow, that looks like
>the closeset available approximation) and WS_KERNEL_BG=WSCOL_BLUE?
>Once wscons switches, everything is as I would expect - but, before
>that, it's white on black!

>So there's clearly something I don't understand going on.  What?

VGA has only 8 colors and an intensity attribute. You cannot select
the "light" ANSI colors. The VGA driver will fail attempts to
allocate such color attributes, so you get white on black instead.

        if (__predict_false((unsigned int)fg >= sizeof(fgansitopc) ||
            (unsigned int)bg >= sizeof(bgansitopc)))
                return (EINVAL);

When DRM takes over, such hardware limitations no longer apply.
The framebuffer code can handle more colors.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost