Re: Logging a kernel message when blocking on entropy

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 06:37:43AM +0000, nia wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 02:32:23PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > OK, so the printf should never happen when the system has been properly
> > configured. In this case I have no objection.
>
> No, it will happen frequently in VMs and on non-recent-x86 hardware.

On all of these it *still* is a setup error that needs to be avoided.

You are talking about a different "frequently". Many modern aarch64 SoCs
will be affected, all VMs with no viornd(4) support, as well as most
non x86 machines w/o special hardware (like ualea(4)).

When these machines are properly setup *once* (ideally at install time),
it will not happen to them ever again (that is the "frequently" Manuel
was talking about).

The problem is with USB images and VM clones that are not installed at all
and we have no good idea (besides properly documenting and suggesting manual
actions) so far.

Martin