Re: Normalising CPU frequency sysctl variables

> Right now, to get the current CPU frequency, I have to iterate
> through ~six machine dependent sysctl variables and check their
> presence, even though they return exactly the same format.

I noticed that for .est. and .powernow., which are the only ones I've
personally run into so far.

> Is there anything the machdep.est.frequency.current naming has been
> kept for compatibility with that this would break?

Is there any reason you can't have the same controls appearing at
multiple places in the sysctl tree?  It seems to me that preserving the
old names would be good for the sake of compatability with software
written for them, but providing the new names would be good for the
sake of avoiding having to play "chase the CPU-specific node".

I'm not sure whether I think having controls in two places for the same
thing is a problem that needs anything done about it.  Thoughts?

					Mouse