Re: Serial kernel debugging amd64 on real hardware

On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 at 02:50, Peter Kay <syllopsium%syllopsium.co.uk@localhost> wrote:

> Is this working now? I see there was an issue back in 2015, and that a
> minor code change has been made, but I'm still seeing the same
>
> 'kgdb waiting... fatal breakpoint trap in supervisor mode'
> 'trap type 1 code 0.' etc etc
> error on boot. This is the same whether on the initial 9.0 release, or
> the 202008300420 build (other builds tried too, same issue).
OK. Further checking has shown that it works on i386 but not amd64. It
does still display the 'fatal breakpoint trap' message, but connecting
to the target works and commands can then be sent.

I am going to need to kernel debug amd64 at some point, but I can
manage with i386 for now, and maybe try and figure out why it works
and amd64 doesn't.

I also note the GENERIC amd64 kernel includes a symbol table, and i386
does not. I presume this is by design for space reasons?