Re: SIGCHLD and sigaction()

>> Perhaps it would need a new flavour of file descriptor, [...]
> Linux has apparently done this: pidfd (file descriptors representing
> a process).  The idea is that you can pass them to various system
> call variants that otherwise take pids, without the risk that the
> process has exited in the mean time and the pid re-used.

I've been thinking about something like that myself, starting with
AF_PID sockets, then deciding they wouldn't/couldn't work (as think I
mentioned in this thread, the socket infrastructure really wants the
contents of a socket to be independent of who's accessing it).
Personally, I've wanted it as a way to provide an out-of-band channel
to userland programs (like a control command channel for various
daemons), but...hmm.

Feels strange to find an idea I like coming from Linux.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign