kernfs from Xen code

Hello,
I've been told that MODULAR kernels don't builds any more, because
Xen code (which is built by default) registers kernfs nodes.

Xen domU can work without kernfs; the kernfs node (/kern/xen/xenbus) allows
to use xenstore tools from the domU.

I don't see a compile-time option to detect if kernfs is being compiled in.

I see the following options:
- declare that KERNFS is mandatory if you compile Xen in.
- Add a needs-flag to kenrfs, so Xen can omit its kernfs code when
  compiled without kernfs.
- move Xen's kernfs code to kernfs; this would need some stub functions
  when Xen is not compiled in.

And maybe more I didn't think about.

For me the second option would be best; I can live with the first one too.
The third is ugly.

Any idea/comment ?