Re: Folding vnode_impl_t back into struct vnode

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 09:36:36AM +0100, J. Hannken-Illjes wrote:

> > On 23. Jan 2020, at 17:37, Andrew Doran <ad%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to unify these back into a single struct vnode.
> >
> > I think I understand the motivation for the split in the first place and I
> > very much agree code outside the VFS core should not be playing around with
> > a lot of the stuff in struct vnode, but I think the split causes more
> > trouble than it's worth.
>
> Please do not, I strongly object.
>
> It was hard work to clean up file systems and kernel components using
> and abusing vnode fields that should be opaque outside the VFS implementation.
>
> I'm quite sure people will start again using these fields because
> it is so simple.  For me the unique vnode was a maintenance nightmare.

Ok cool, it's a preference on my part I don't have a strong opinion.  I
understand the frustration, I have run into a lot of nasty business in
the file system code over the years.

> All (v_lock at least) contained in struct vnode_impl, all locks should
> go here as they are opaque to any consumer.

I have found a way to cluster the fields in both structures that seems to
work well enough so all is well in the end.

Thank you,
Andrew