Re: nvmm: group

On 25.10.2019 12:49, Maxime Villard wrote:
> Currently /dev/nvmm has these permissions
>
>         c rw- --- --- root wheel
>
> Which means the user has to tune the permissions manually. I would like to
> introduce an "nvmm" group, and change the perms to
>
>         c rw- r-- --- root nvmm
>
> This means that emulators will have to be setgid nvmm, or the caller must
> be part of nvmm.
>
> Also, I want to make nvmm_init() public. Until now it was invoked during
> the first NVMM call within libnvmm. From now on it's the emulators that
> must invoke it before any other NVMM function. The point is that the
> emulator now has the ability to manually set the proper permissions before
> invoking nvmm_init() and drop them after the call has completed.
>
> Here is a patch [1] that adds this group (are there more changes needed?),
> and makes nvmm_init public.
>
> Feel free to comment, I'll commit it soon.
>
> [1] https://m00nbsd.net/garbage/nvmm/nvmm-group.diff

I have got no particular opinion on the group and nvmm_init() change,
but I still request to integrate example demo hypervisor [1] with src/
and chain it into the build, without making it installable.

We did the same with example loadable kernel modules and this makes good
result and ensures that the examples are still relevant.

[1] https://www.netbsd.org/~maxv/nvmm/nvmm-demo.zip