Re: /dev/random is hot garbage

Kamil Rytarowski <n54%gmx.com@localhost> writes:

>>> What's the advantage of this over using replacing /dev/random by a
>>> symlink to /dev/urandom in the build system?
>>>
>>> A symlink can be restricted to a chroot, while a sysctl knob would
>>> affect the host outside the chroot.  The two would presumably require
>>> essentially the same privileges to enact.
>>
>> None, now that I think of it.
>>
>> So let's change that on the xen build host.
>>
>> And, the other issue is that systems need randomness, and we need a way
>> to inject some into xen guests.  Enabling some with rndctl works, or at
>> least used to, even if it is theoretically dangerous.  But we aren't
>> trying to defend against the dom0.
>>

> It looks like we need a paravirt random driver for xen that could solve
> the rust / random(6) problem.
>
> There is already viornd(4) for virtio(4).

rnd and Xen guests is a vexing problem.  Lots of things seem to consume
bits from the pool until you are often left with none.  For me it was
Kerberos authentication against a Postgresql DB, but ssh seems to use
them and it appears that some are consumed when you use ntpd keys with
peers.  I built this -> https://anduin.eldar.org/true-rng/ and feed
randomness into the Xen guests I have and other systems that I suspect
do not produce randomness on their own very well.  It is not at all a
perfect answer, but appears to work well enough for what I need.  For
Xen guests, a paravirt driver would seem to be a better answer.

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org