Re: Removing PF

On Sat, 30 Mar 2019, John D. Baker wrote:

[ Multiple addresses/networks on external NAT router interface. ]

I may have overstated the case of PPPOE-ADSL systems in this regard.
In this case, the pppoeN pseudo-interface is associated with some physical
netifN interface, but pppoeN handles only the ISP-assigned dynamic
address (which may spontaneously change at any time for any reason or
no reason).  The physical netifN interface holds the static address used
to access the ADSL modem's status/configuration interface.  So the issue
of needing a subset of addresses returned by 'ifaddrs(netifN)' does not
apply.

It does apply in the case of a single netifN interface receiving a
ISP-assigned address via DHCP while also maintaining a secondary static
address to communicate with the ADSL modem's status/configuration
interface.  Although one's own router remains online, disruptions within
the ISP's infrastructure (fault, maintenance, etc.) may prompt spontaneous
change of assigned address.  As such the dynamic feature of
'ifaddrs(netifN)' is essential, but there needs to be a way to select
a subset of the returned addresses for proper operation to resume.

|\ / jdbaker[snail]consolidated[flyspeck]net  OpenBSD            FreeBSD