Re: kernel frameworks for jumbo frame

On Mon, 2019-03-11 at 04:37 -0400, John Franklin wrote:
> On Mar 10, 2019, at 15:33, Gert Doering <gert%greenie.muc.de@localhost> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 12:14:54PM -0700, Brian Buhrow wrote:
> > > 	hello.  I'm not saying anything that anyone here doesn't already know,
> > > but I'll add that Linux seems to have taken the position that all ethernet
> > > interfaces should be called eth0, eth1, etc.
> >
> > This argument surprises me a bit, as Linux has moved *away* from doing
> > exactly this a few years ago...
>
> Depending on who you ask, this was either poorly received by the community or “has mixed reviews.” I’ve yet to meet someone who thought it was the best thing ever.

As with everything, I'd expect some people to consider X better, some to
consider Y better, and a few to take this opportunity to remind everyone
that there's also an alternative of Z.  I'd also expect a major group of
neutral people who don't really care either way.

What really brought major 'poor reception' is *change* rather than
the idea itself.  I think it's meaningful to distinguish between people
who actually prefer Y over X because they think it's better, and people
who don't like change from Y to X because it means they have to do
'unnecessary' work to adjust their systems and/or change their habits.
Then, of course there would be some people who would actually consider
this an opportunity to improve their setups.

What I'm saying is that you can't expect neither wholly negative or
wholly positive reception here.  People who are unhappy/angry tend to be
more verbose about it.  Most of the people won't go out their way to
praise interface naming solution even if they liked it.  Most of
the people won't really care as long as things work out of the box.

One fun fact about the new naming scheme is that if you have USB wifi
dongle, you can expect the name to depend on which port you plug it
into.  So much for consistent naming ;-).

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny