Re: [uvm_hotplug] Fixing the build of tests

On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 11:15 AM Mathew, Cherry G. <cherry%zyx.in@localhost> wrote:
> Hi Santhosh,
>
> I believe the right thing to do would be to just fix the type in uvmexp.npages to the correct type instead of adjusting the test to accommodate it. What would be the consequences of this?

That would mean a change in the uvmexp structure in
sys/uvm/uvm_extern.h and there are many other variables all except 3
are "int" at the moment.

The non "int" ones are (the variable we are comparing against in the
tests is of type unsigned long though)

        unsigned anonpages;     /* number of pages used by anon mappings */
        unsigned filepages;     /* number of pages used by cached file data */
        unsigned execpages;     /* number of pages used by cached exec data */

Example of a small section within the struct where npages sits.

        /* vm_page counters */
        int npages;     /* number of pages we manage */
        int free;       /* number of free pages */
        int paging;     /* number of pages in the process of being paged out */
        int wired;      /* number of wired pages */

I am not sure what are the consequences of changing this is since it
is a fundamental data structure used across all ports. So I am not
informed enough to give an opinion on that.

But if someone else can shed light on the above question, I am all ears.

> Also, I hadn't realised that the tests aren't wired into the build. They really should be.

Neither was I until Medfly pointed it out to me. I am more than happy
to hook it up once we make it build and make sure the tests are
working as expected.

--
Santhosh