noatime mounts inhibiting atime updates via utime()

Hello,

Today me and Kamil noticed some more LLVM tests failing due to the host
filesystem being mounted with 'noatime' option.  Upon closer
investigation, it turned out that on NetBSD noatime inhibits not only
implicit atime updates but also prevents the utime() family of functions
from updating it.

Is there a specific reason for this behavior?  I'm not saying it's
incorrect (in fact, I'm pretty sure it's allowed by POSIX) but it's
somewhat surprising and contrary to what other tested systems do (Linux,
FreeBSD).

FWIU the main purpose of using 'noatime' is to inhibit inode updates
on file accesses and therefore avoid spurious writes.  However, I don't
think this applies if the program sets atime explicitly; especially if
it simultaneously updates mtime, therefore requiring an inode write
anyway.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny