Re: Things not referenced in kernel configs, but mentioned in files.*

On Nov 13,  7:10am, Martin Husemann wrote:
} On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 05:18:41PM -0800, John Nemeth wrote:
} >      Was the ISDN code usable?  Something in the back of my mind is telling
} > me that it wasn't and thus was just clutter.
}
} It was usable, but even here it is hard (impossible?) to get real ISDN
} land lines nowadays.

     That's a different kind of unusable.  :-)  That puts it in
the same camp as strip, where there may be functioning hardware,
but you can't do anything with the hardware.  Granted you could
setup private connections if you wish (I once put a PRI card in a
Linux box and made it network side for testing purposes).

     On a side note, ISDN land lines are very common here in the
form of PRI used for trunking purposes.  There would be some use
for that when coupled with Asterisk (or another soft PBX) to create
a phone system.  However, for that, we would need DAHDI which we
don't currently have.  DAHDI is somewhat on my radar, but given
that you can do pretty much everything by talking SIP to an external
box it isn't my highest priority.  If somebody else wishes to port
DAHDI that would be great!

}-- End of excerpt from Martin Husemann