How to prevent a mutex being _enter()ed from being _destroy()ed?

I know very little about locking so that's probably a stupid question, but:

Is there a general scheme/rule/proposal how to prevent a mutex that someone
is trying to mutex_enter() from being teared down by someone else calling
mutex_destroy() on it during that?

Specifically, I'm trying to understand what should prevent a thread from
destroying a socket's lock (by sofree()/soput()) while unp_gc() is trying
to acquire that lock.