Re: aarch64 gcc kernel compilation

On 16.07.2018 10:50, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
> On 16.07.2018 00:00, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
>> On 15.07.2018 20:08, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Gcc is now working on aarch64 but the kernel does not compile because of
>>> some idiomatic clang code that is not supported by gcc (at least gcc-6)
>>>
>>> To define constants, it uses:
>>>
>>> static const uintmax_t
>>> FOO = __BIT(9),
>>> BAR = FOO;
>>>
>>> While this is nice, specially for the debugger, it produces an error
>>> in gcc. While fixing these is easy, gcc also complains about using the
>>> constants as switch labels. Thus it is better to just nukem all and
>>> rewrite them as:
>>>
>>> #define FOO __BIT(9)
>>> #define BAR FOO
>>>
>>> Should I go ahead and do it, or there is a smarter solution?
>>>
>>> christos
>>>

>> I used to have problems to build rumpkernel aarch64 on Linux with GCC
>> (some years ago) due to usage __uint128_t in reg.h.
>>
>> Can we drop it? The __uint128_t type is not used anywhere else in
>> aarch64 subdirs.
>>
>> It's used in assembly in FPREG_Q0-FPREQ_Q31 in cpuswitch.S. The same
>> optimization can be done without the usage of __uint128_t, probably just
>> need for proper alignment of fp_reg (15).
>
> 16*
>

>> There is also some mysterious fallout that General Purpose Registers in
>> core files are shipped with 128bit containers. It's not compatible with
>> LLDB and requires needless generic work for no purpose.
>>
>> I can try to prepare a patch blindly and share with aarch64 owners.
>>

> Looking deeper, there are various reports regarding aarch64 128-bit
> broken support.
>
> "Be careful of GCC's __uint128_t. It caused us problems on a number of
> platforms, like ARM64, ARMEL and S/390. We had to give up using it
> because it was so buggy. For example, GCC calculated the result of u =
> 93 - 0 - 0 - 0 (using the 128-bit types) as 18446744073709551615 on ARM64"
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/11656241/how-to-print-uint128-t-number-using-gcc
>
> There are no utility features for such numbers such as PRIu128, no
> support in printf(3), snprintf(3) etc.
>
> I will prepare a patch for removal of this from public machine headers.

I was asked to provide some links to gcc bugzilla:

https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=__int128_t
https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=__uint128_t

My reason is unportable construct of reg.h, no utility functions for
128bits and alien style core files with 128bit containers for registers.