Re: Removing dbregs

On 13.07.2018 23:10, Jaromír Doleček wrote:
>> I disagree with disabling it. The code is not broken, it's covered by
>> tests, it's in use.
>
> This looks like perfect candidate for optional (default off) feature.
> It is useless and dangerous for general purpose use by virtue of being
> root only, but useful for specialized use.
>
> Honestly, I don't see any reason to have this on by default.
>
> Jaromir

We have got this state now. It's a trade-off that we disable it for
user, and keep for root and those who use it (sysctl switch).

I agree that there might be a microoptimization with not reloading DR,
but there is a bigger fish to fry at this point rather than winning 0,3%
of performance by killing a feature that is in use.

If anything, the proper solution is to optimize the register switch.