Re: CVS commit: src/sys/arch/x86/x86

On 08.07.2018 17:16, Jason Thorpe wrote:

>> On Jul 8, 2018, at 6:30 AM, Kamil Rytarowski <n54%gmx.com@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> In future __NO_STRICT_ALIGNMENT could be defined for aarch64, at least
>> for the use of acpica (which still contains a fallback for Itanium
>> without misaligned access, but not actively maintained).
>>
>> Linux uses a different approach and ships get_unaligned() and
>> set_unaligned() macros and implements it on per ABI and CPU-basis.
>
> In general, I get the utility of UBSan, but for these unaligned access issues, an ad hoc approach like what was done in mpbios is the wrong way to go.
>
> Here's my $0.02:
>
> -- Define a set of standard unaligned-accessors/mutators.  I propose:
>
> 	uint16_t	__unaligned_load16(const uint16_t *);
> 	uint32_t	__unaligned_load32(const uint32_t *);
> 	uint64_t	__unaligned_load64(const uint64_t *);
>
> 	void		__unaligned_store16(uint16_t *, uint16_t);
> 	void		__unaligned_store32(uint32_t *, uint32_t);
> 	void		__unaligned_store64(uint64_t *, uint64_t);
>
> ...and maybe you need to have another set for the signed value flavor, dunno.  (I guess probably, because you want to preserve the type information as much as possible ... no casting.)
>
> -- Implement them as static inlines in a suitable system header (<sys/types.h>, maybe, although these types are <inttypes.h> types, yah?  So, adjust the types to __uint16_t or whatever as necessary).  Decorate only these static inlines with the "don't sanitize me" directives.  Implementing them as inline functions rather than macros has 2 benefits: avoids unintended multiple-evaluation of arguments, allows the smallest possible "don't sanitize" footprint.
>
> -- Implement 2 standard sets, one for __NO_STRICT_ALIGNMENT platforms, and one for the strict-alignment case.

I did something similar once upon a time when I was working on
libo(verflow).

https://github.com/krytarowski/libo/blob/nbsd/overflow.h

There is a compiler switch for all C types: char, signed char, short,
int, long, long long, unsigned char, unsigned short, unsigned int,
unsigned long, unsigned long long.

However at that point of time, C11 (_Generic) wasn't adopted so widely
and pcc was in more active development so I've deferred the libo library
for future. Today a compiler without C11 is not an issue.

I can reuse the same idea and template (no licensing issues) for
unaligned accessor and I will propose a patch.

BTW. we are using a subset of the get_unaligned() feature macro in
DRMKMS -- sys/external/bsd/drm2/include/asm/unaligned.h this file is
even (c) TNF.

I will try to scratch a new header unaligned.h with the set of macros
and submit it to evaluation.

> -- For changes like what would be needed in acpica, GET INPUT FROM THE UPSTREAM as to how to integrate use of these macros, and preferably push the changes to the upstream FIRST so that we can simply import them in a regular update.

The discussion about the ACPICA case is ongoing:

https://github.com/acpica/acpica/issues/393
"NetBSD Kernel Undefined Behavior Sanitizer: acpica reports"

It will probably end up as a new macro for decoration of a function.

Harry (luserx0) is working on it as a GSoC (sub)task.

I intend to import the fix for acpica together with a new version of
this software.