GSoC 18 - Kernel Address Sanitizer 1st report

Hello,
  It has been really great summer so far and I have managed to complete the targets set for the first evaluation, below is a short summary on the work that I have done prior to the evaluation period.
  • Added ATF regression tests to check whether the address sanitizer is working in the userland.
  • Wrote example kernel modules to
    • Add a node to the sysctl tree
    • Make a /dev module Multiprocessor Safe(MPSAFE)
    • Print out the data, text, heap and kernel map constants.
  • Read the 1998 dissertation on UVM by Dr. Chuck Cranor and made notes on it
  • Familiarized myself with UVM code
  • Added a kernel option and built the kernel against KASan with Dummy functions.
Here is the blog post regarding the same :  http://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/gsoc_2018_reports_kernel_address

I would like to thank my mentor, Kamil Rytarowski who was always ready to dive deep into code and help whenever required. I also want to thank Cherry Mathews for helping clear up doubts related to UVM.

--
Regards,
  Siddharth M