Re: i2c and indirect vs. direct config

On Thu, 31 May 2018, Jason Thorpe wrote:

I spent some time reviewing NXP’s i2c spec this evening (well, during timeouts, etc. — GO DUBS), and I’m becoming convinced that there is a subtle error in our i2c_bitbang code… the spec seems pretty clear that a START-address-ACK should occur if a device is really there, and thus the “quick read” method for device detection should work 100% of the time. ...

There is at least one i2c bus controller that explicitly doesn't handle "quick" transactions - the imc controller built into the Intel X99 chip-set. The docs are pretty clear that it implements an absolute minimum subset of i2c, just barely enough to talk to the SPD ROMs on memory DIMMs.

| Paul Goyette     | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:          |
| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee dot com   |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd dot org |