Re: i2c and indirect vs. direct config

> Your points about explicit config make a lot of sense; reminds me of
> qbus and isa bus where you have to know.

Well, except that on Qbus and ISA, most devices can be probed
relatively harmlessly.  That is, asking a driver "there might be a
device you handle at this address, check it out?" is a reasonable thing
to do.  There certainly are exceptions, a few cases of devices X and Y
such that having device Y's driver probe for a Y at A when there's
really an X at A will do something unfortunate to the X.  But they are
few and rare.

As I read thorpej's mail, that's far less true of i2c.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign