About project 'fallocate for FFS'

Hello.

I'm Jay and I am interested in working on project 'fallocate for FFS'. I wanted to make sure that this project is still open and someone's not assigned to it already. Also, I have some questions about it.

I have read file system internals guide and have some general ideas on where and how to implement it. I am fairly new to UNIX development and very confused on how to get started. As I understand it, I will have to implement a vnode operation. I got familiar with prototypes, but I have no idea what goes into a function. I am a newbie to UNIX, and I understand that I'll have to read a lot of code before I can write some. Can you please point me to some already implementation of fallocate? Also, It will be really helpful if you can suggest some reading material (online forms, paper, wiki pages, books or anything useful)

Thanks.