Re: compat work.

(Adding tech-kern@ to cc)

Such "factoring out" is far beyond my capabilities, especially when we get into areas such as the networking code. There are just too many parts of the system which I do not adequately understand.

I can either maintain the current capabilities, warts and all, or I can abandon the effort. There is just too much spaghetti code already, and too much "compat_xx" code which is only reachable when built-in.

It would have been much more appreciated if you had done your work on the branch, rather than completely invalidating the work I'd already done.