Re: Spectre

> Consider something like BPF [...]

Yes, that's the "on the one hand" part: using this property to read
outside a sandbox.

> -- code executed in the kernel with an enforced security model to
> prevent "undesirable" acceses.

Such CPUs are inappropriate for such uses.

Whether that's a bug in the CPU or a bug in its application depends on
how you prefer to think of it.

Since, as far as I know, such CPUs have historically not been
documented with warnings about such things, I'm more inclined to see it
as a bug in the CPU at present - but I can certainly understand the
other point of view.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign