Re: untangling the compat mess

Le 06/12/2017 à 21:23, matthew green a écrit :
kernel libraries are supposed to be built as a .o not a .a,
for modular/lkm kernels.  did this get lost some where?

libcompat is a .a, I saw that too

ie, if you have a MODULAR kernel, then the build should always
include all the library stuff, in libkern, etc.  see the
KERN_AS variable.

sounds like libcompat is not being treated the same and it
should be instead.

First I thought we could simply switch to (${COMPAT_AS} == "object").

But then, it means that the compat functions are always compiled in the
kernel and that there is no option to control that. I believe there needs
to be an option, and repurposing COMPAT_NETBSD to this end didn't seem
like a bad idea to me.

Maxime