Re: boot failures

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 03:30:22PM -0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
> Could it be that BIOS tries C/H/S addressing which is limited to about 8GB ?
> Is the root filesystem below that threshold?

I got it working. It was the opposite problem actually.

the Soekris  net5501 uses CHS adressing for booting if there are
thee than 1024 heads, nd LBA48 otherwise net5501 manual, pae 14).
The CHS code is buggy, hence we need to froce LBA48 usge to fix
the boot. This is achieved by having the boot partition far enough
on the disk. I installed it on the last 512 MB and it now boots fine.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
manu%netbsd.org@localhost