Re: Proposal: Disable autoload of compat_xyz modules

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 09:39:42PM +0000, Taylor R Campbell wrote:
> Can you tell me who maintains them, or if nobody does, can you
> volunteer to maintain them -- by auditing them, by testing them if
> someone else applies a security fix, by writing automatic tests with
> sample binaries that we can put into atf?

I can promise to try to solve any COMPAT_LINUX bug, although I don't
promise to succeed. I find it useful, we even have packages relying on
its existence, and its nice that they work out of the box, but adding a
note to all of them isn't bad.

Most of these packages are in pkgsrc/games, but there are some other
notable software that has been reported to run under COMPAT_LINUX
(recently manu@ added pselect6 stating it allows MATLAB R2016A to run).

> P.S.  The old-NetBSD, a.out, and 32-bit compat modules may be broken
> too, and are probably not automatically tested either, but are more
> likely to be manually tested and I'm not addressing them right now.
> These are:

netbsd/mips64 runs a 64bit kernel and full 32bit userland, so
compat_netbsd32 is tested very heavily on it.