Re: Introducing localcount(9)

On Thu, 18 May 2017, Taylor R Campbell wrote:

Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 15:06:57 +0800 (+08)
From: Paul Goyette <paul%whooppee.com@localhost>

Based on the feedback I've received, I will only be committing the
new localcount(9) primitives at this time.  Other changes to the
devsw and autoconf frameworks still need some more time to come up
with proper designs, and then implementation.

The commits I'm going to make will require a kernel version bump, so
if anyone else has anything going on and wants to "ride the bump",
please let me know so we can coordinate.  I'd like to get this done
within the next 24 hours unless there's some need for delay.

Do we need a kernel version bump just to add symbols?  Old modules
without localcount(9) won't be affected by the new symbols; any new
modules using localcount(9) will fail to load in old kernels anyway
because they refer to missing symbols.

It feels to me to be similar to requiring a libc minor version bump when new routines are added. But I can be persuaded to skip the bump if we _all_ agree that it is not needed.

Otherwise, sounds good, and thanks for all your effort doing the hard
work to make this happen!

Even though the devsw and autoconf work is not being committed (at least, not at this time), it was definitely helpful for debugging the primitives.

| Paul Goyette     | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:          |
| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee dot com   |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd dot org |