Re: Restricting rdtsc [was: kernel aslr]

Maxime Villard wrote:
> Le 29/03/2017 ? 00:49, Alexander Nasonov a ?crit :
> > I think this should be either all-or-nothing. You either have rdtsc as
> > a time source or you don't. Similar for rdpmc (and other performance
> > counters).
>
> Well, the idea was to make the availability more fine-grained.
>

> Seeing the general skepticism that prevails, I guess we can just forget about
> this idea.

There are two more or less independent things: fine-grained time source
and userspace rdtsc. The latter is often used directly when vdso isn't
available. If we implement vdso, I assume that software that needs rdtsc
can be taught to call it via vdso.

With vdso implemented, we can have a flag that enables/disables
vdso globally as well as per process (paxctl?). Independetly,
the kernel can be configured to use either fine-grained or hackerproof
time source for regular (non-vdso) system calls.

Alex