Re: Prospective project for Summer of Code.

On 20.03.2017 23:43, Raunaq Kochar wrote:
> Hi,
> I am a Masters in Computer Science student at Stony Brook University
> looking to work as part of the Google Summer of Code on the Real
> Asynchronous I/O or Parallelize Page Queues projects.

Welcome!

I planned to spend my time on kqueue(2)/kevent(2) and aio(3) after May
(full-time effort, but not GSoC). There is a list of bug reports around
these calls and few missing features (I need SIGEV_KEVENT).

My plan was to start with regression tests in the ATF framework,
synchronize the features with other BSDs, catch and analyze difference
in behavior, update the documentation - research the bugs (add tests in
the ATF framework, file PR) and squash as many of them as possible.

My primary motivation is to reliably use VirtualBox as host on NetBSD.

If you plan to take the aio(3) part, I will happily focus on the
kqueue(2)/kevent(2) interface and at some point we will join with
SIGEV_KEVENT. Some of the mentioned bugs require rather diverse
environments to trigger anomalies, e.g. golang on evbarm.