Re: Audio - In kernel audio mixing

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 08:30:51AM +1100, Nathanial Sloss wrote:
> What is your underlying audio driver,  AFAICT it works with hdaudio, uaudio
> and Raspberry Pi vcaudio.

I've got multiple possible outputs, but only using one.
one from a graphics card (for HDMI), and some creative labs with too many
output ports (that don't work - I didn't make the best purchase decisions
:-)). both are hdaudio. perhaps that plays a role.

selecting only one output port for the creative labs thing did not help,
though.

> Yes this is known ethier the sum of the streams would be louder whch may lead
> to clipping or the streams volume would have to be divided by the number or
> streams so that the resultant sum is no greater than the set master volume.

Another way to work around this problem is to have custom addition that
saturates to the max values, I haven't tried it though.

> Is this with flash player or html5 multimedia content.  For me multiple
> instances of flash player work.

It's HTML5 - I guess it may be a firefox oddity. It does run mostly one
process now.

> > - audioctl -a seems to still say play.rate=8000
>
> In the diff for audioctl you would have to supply -p <pid> to audioctl to
> obtain the settings for a particular stream i.e audioctl -p <pid> -a.
>
> audioctl -a would otherwize open a new stream and give parameters on that
> stream.  audioctl -d /dev/sound is the exception where by you'll get changed
> parameters as of the last process or audioctl on /dev/sound.

..
> Could audioctl be killed or did you require a restart?

It could not be killed. I was using old audioctl and just updated kernel.
I think I can reproduce it with running `while true; do audioctl -a; done`
while playing two streams.

Thanks for working on this, I look forward to it! :)