Re: FUA and TCQ

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 8:05 AM, Thor Lancelot Simon <tls%panix.com@localhost> wrote:
> Our storage stack's inability to use tags with SATA targets is a huge
> gating factor for performance with real workloads (the residual use of
> the kernel lock at and below the bufq layer is another).

FreeBSD's storage stack does support NCQ. When that's artificially
turned off, performance drops on a certain brand of SSDs from about
500-550MB/s for large reads down to 200-300MB/s depending on
too many factors to go into here. It helps a lot for work loads and is
critical for Netflix to get 36-38Gbps rate from our 40Gbps systems.

> Starting de
> novo with NVMe, where it's perverse and structurally difficult to not
> support multiple commands in flight simultaneously, will help some, but
> SATA SSDs are going to be around for a long time still and it'd be
> great if this limitation went away.

NVMe is even worse. There's one drive that w/o queueing I can barely
get 1GB/s out of. With queueing and multiple requests I can get the
spec sheet rated 3.6GB/s. Here queueing is critical for Netflix to get to
90-93Gbps that our 100Gbps boxes can do (though it is but one of
many things).

> That said, I am not going to fix it myself so all I can do is sit here
> and pontificate -- which is worth about what you paid for it, and no
> more.

Yea, I'm just a FreeBSD guy lurking here.

Warner