Re: Audio - In kernel audio mixing

> On most architectures, you can't use the FPU in the kernel at this time.

Something that's lacking is a portable API that lets problem state programs tell the kernel they are using the FP etc. registers and need them preserved across context switches.

This isn't just a UNIX problem.  A SIMPLE, portable, API to address this across ANSI-C(ish) environments would be a nice thing.

Portable is a strange thing to say here, but I mean it in the context of a portable representation of the machine-specific architecture the application is exposed to it.  The consumer, by definition, will have understanding of the underlying hardware bits it wants to preserve.  With a reasonable bit of care, it should be possible to build an extendable C interface that works cross platform without using cpp(1) to waterboard everyone in the process.

--lyndon

P.S.  Yes, I dislike #ifdef.  This might be one of the few cases where its use is warranted.