Re: UVM wait states

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 12:31:29PM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:

> Most if us would just still see the /digit form, because most of us don't
> have that many processors...
>
> For those lucky few with > 64, we might assume that they're rick enough to
> have colour displays, and enough cpu bandwidth to waste a little, and choose
> different colour combinations (fg&bg) for the "/n" pair of chars.  That
> should expand the name space to allow more than enough for now.

Shockingly, Dell 810 systems with 64 cores/128 threads can be had on
eBay for under $2000.  These can be taken to 80 cores/160 threads,
but those CPUs are $600 each, and 4 of them would be required.

Still, that's 4 year old used stuff.  Equivalent new Intel server
processors are at 14 or 18 cores.  Servers with hundreds of cores
are going to be common soon.

--
  Thor Lancelot Simon	                                     tls%panix.com@localhost

  "We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
   aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others."      - H.L.A. Hart