Re: In-kernel process exit hooks?

I'm not going to address individual points....

We all agree that filemon(4) is an ugly hack.  It probably should never
have gotten committed.  But it is there now, and there are a (very) few
use-cases.  So we don't want to remove it without having a replacement
implementation.  (Although some of the issues, like not noticing a pid
being resued, could conceivably be considered security-related - ie,
information disclosure of a process to which you don't have access...)

I'll be working on a replacement, but it will take a while to get it
right.  At least several months, perhaps even longer.

make(1) (or bmake) doesn't have to move very far to avoid filemon(4). The only usage of filemon within make is for "meta-mode" which is only really understood by its author. Indeed, filemon was created just for this one use-case; any other use of filemon is truly accidental!

OK, I will address just one of your points individually:

The thing is there is filemon and bmake in FreeBSD as well. While I
don't have the time to modify ktrace for this purpose, I would
definitely help both projects if bmake started moving away from
filemon.

However, this is just my $0,03 as I don't contribute to this project.

Nothing prevents you from working on this and contributing any working code. We're all volunteers here.

:)

| Paul Goyette     | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:      |
| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com   |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd.org |