Re: Potential problem with reading data from usb devices with ugen(4)

Brian Buhrow <buhrow%nfbcal.org@localhost> writes:

> 	hello.  In looking further at the ugen(4) driver, it looks like there
> has been some effort to get things like select/poll(2) working with ugen(4)
> connected devices, as well as having read calls return after a specific
> timeout interval.  Under 5.2, at least, and I think -current as well, I
> don't think that machinery is working quite right.  Here are the things I
> notice as I look at the code.  Keep in mind that I'm not an expert with the
> way usb works, so there may be huge gaps in my understanding in terms of
> what's actually broken.

I would suggest that you read the USB specs to really understand how
reads work.  (I am fuzzy on this at the moment.)  Also I would read the
linux drivers to see what they do.  In order to fix this, I think it's
going to be necessary to really understand the details.

I find the notion of the driver doing reads on the bus when no program
has asked to read a bit odd, but perhaps selecting for read should
trigger that since it's like a read.