Re: USB, NetBSD 6.1.5/amd64: freezes when 2 umass connected

On Thu, Jul 02, 2015 at 10:18:23AM +0100, Nick Hudson wrote:
> On 07/02/15 10:07, tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >On an NetBSD 6.1.5/amd64, when I connect a second USB connected disk to
> >the machine, NetBSD freezes. Unable to connect remotely; hard reboot
> >required.
> >
> >Questions:
> >
> >1) The machine has two usb ports, with uhub0 and uhub1 first attached
> >resp. to these ones; the uhub2 cascading from uhub0 and uhub3 from
> >uhub1.
> >uhub2 has 6 ports removable;
> >uhub3 has 8 ports removable;
> >Since in /dev/ there are only 8 devices (from usb0 to usb7) could this
> >be the problem? (6 + 8 = 14, even if I have only one USB device---first
> >disk---and the second disk is only the second device; but how are the
> >device nodes assigned to one USB port?)
> >
> >2) The two USB disks are from the same vendor (Western Digital) but not
> >exactly the same model (not the same capacity). Could the USB driver be
> >confused by two similar devices connected to the same(?) USB tree?
> >
> >3) Physically, on the machine, there are USB ports on the rear, and USB
> >ports on the front. Does somebody know if front ports could be
> >"duplicating" rear ports, that is slots on the front be in fact
> >connected to the same ports as the rear ones causing conflict?
> >
> >I'm trying to find what is causing this misbehavior. And a freeze is
> >rather annoying for a node that is mainly supposed to be administrated
> >from remote...
> >
> >TIA,
>
> Can you try netbsd-7 or better still -current?

This will be difficult on this node since during the time I have
accessed to, it serves the files (SAMBA).

I will try to get the "offending" USB disk and do test on my personnal
machine, running 6.1.5 too (on amd64) and if the same behavior happens,
I will try first to get a clue about what is going on, and second try a
netbsd-7 or -current.

But has something be made concerning USB and umass on post-6.1.x
kernels that could give a clue about what the problem is/was?
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                     http://www.arts-po.fr/