Raidframe low I/O for parity rebuild, but when accessed through rraid* devices

Hi list,

I am posting the odd behaviour I am currently experiencing with Raidframe on a freshly installed system (amd64, NetBSD-6.1), in the hope that someone encountered this already.

Just after initializing the raid 1 array using two ATA disks (1 SATA, 1 PATA), starting the parity rebuild leads to a curious behaviour: when monitoring the disks I/Os via iostat, the first few minutes of the parity rebuild go fine, both disks working at about 20-25MiB/s (which is their nominal speed when used in !raid setup).

But after that, the rebuild I/Os slow to a crawl to a mere 2-3MiB/s and it remains stationary. However, accessing the raid (formatting, copying files, dd'ing...) does not seem to be affected by this slowness, as the disks do work at their nominal speed when properly solicited. It is just as if parity rebuild decided to restrict its bandwidth or priority (although no other bg activity happens on those disks ATM).

Does this ring a bell to someone?

That is a minor annoyance as the raid set is working, but the parity ETA is expected to take a full day, instead of an hour or so...

FWIW the hardware is kinda old: 250GiB SATA-I disk + 250GiB PATA/IDE disk in raid1 configuration (512b sectors, partitions are aligned on 1MiB boundary). Disks have low I/O capabilities (about 25MiB/s each), controllers are in AHCI. raidframe config is following (no big surprise here):

START array
1 2 0

START disks
/dev/wd0e
/dev/wd2e

START layout
128 1 1 1

START queue
fifo 100

Tried swapping different disks, modifying the layout, or using SATA-only and PATA-only disks, but it always ends up that way. Next on the list is to test with -current, but I need to install radeon DRM firmwares first (:

Hints are, of course, appreciated.

Cheers,

--
Jean-Yves Migeon