Re: Removing ARCNET stuffs

At Tue, 2 Jun 2015 11:47:01 -0700, Dennis Ferguson <dennis.c.ferguson%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: Removing ARCNET stuffs

> It's too long an argument, but I think any approach to a
> multiprocessor network stack that attempts to get there starting
> with the existing network L2/L3/interface code as a base is likely
> not on the table.  I would offer the rather herculean effort spent
> on FreeBSD to attempt to do exactly that, and the fairly mediocre
> result it produced, as evidence.  The resources to match that
> probably don't exist, and if there were a better, easier way to do
> this it would have been done already.  I think the least cost way to
> produce a better result is actually to make a big change, preserving
> the device drivers and the transport protocol code (which needs to run
> single-threaded per-socket in any case) and any non-IP protocol code
> that still works (running single-threaded) but doing a wholesale
> replacement of the code that moves packets between those things with
> something that can operate without locks.  Doing it this way has some
> risks, not the least of which is that it would leave you with networking
> code unlike anyone else's (though if it were well done I'm not sure this
> would last, everyone has trouble with the network stack), but I think
> this makes the problem tractable and has a good chance of producing
> something that scales quite well even without a lot of Linux-style
> micro-optimization effort.

Dennis, if you are able I wonder if you could comment on how well you
think the NetGraph implementation in FreeBSD fares with respect to being
part of a multiprocessor network stack, and if you think it offers any
advantages (and/or has any disadvantages) in an SMP environment.  I
understand that NetGraph gained some finer-grained SMP support as early
as FreeBSD-5.x.  I also read about some NetGraph locking and performance
issues in the 201309DevSummit notes, but I don't know any of the
details.

What if NetGraph was the _only_ network stack in the kernel?

And what about Luigi Rizzo's netmap?  (which claims to be specifically
targeted at multi-core machines)  (I'm going to try to learn a bit more
about netmap at BSDCan this year.)

And finally, what about the possibilities for a more formal STREAMS-like
implementation, or at least something that would be compatible with
existing STREAMS modules at the API (DDI/DKI) level, w.r.t. SMP?  This
would maybe allow independent maintenance and testing of less widely
used protocol modules (and perhaps even drivers) by third parties.

--
						Greg A. Woods
						Planix, Inc.

<woods%planix.com@localhost>       +1 250 762-7675        http://www.planix.com/